Monday, January 14, 2013

Well, I was born in a small town....

John Cougar Mellencamp sure could sing it. Small town is one of my favorite songs. Aptly so, considering my hometown, the one I'm about to permanently call home, is a sprawling metropolis of (according to the 2010 Census) 111. ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN. There are more people outside of the city limits who have my town as their address than live inside the city limits. But hey, we have a grocery store, a bank, a lumberyard, a gas station, and a cafe that's open a couple days per week. And a CO-OP. But that's kind of a given, I think.

The church in town is over 100 years old. Every hour, on the hour, the bells chime. During the Advent season, it rings Christmas carols. It's quiet. I can hear a dog bark from across town. I've known my "new" neighbors since birth, with the exception of a wife, and I've known her for 25 years. It's home.

People who I haven't seen since high school know where all I've moved, what schools I went to, that I did AmeriCorps and Up With People, and of course.... they all know that I'm getting divorced. When there's only 100 and change to pass the word around to, it goes super fast, as you can imagine.

I got asked out three times in a week. By three different guys. Two of which heard I was single by their mothers.

This is where I take a teeny weeny dirt nap.... for the rest of my life.

Yeaaaaaaaah.

I'm just going to let that one marinate for a while.

Sincerely,
Evidently the most eligible bachelorette in south county.


No comments:

Post a Comment